Eccleston Square Hotel’s Top 5 Things to do in London during the May Bank Holiday
Easter break may be over, but don’t despair, the May Bank Holiday (5th – 7th May) is just around the corner. With an unlimited number of events, exhibitions and festivals going on in the capital, we have chosen five great activities to fill the long weekend in London. Eccleston Square Hotel, located just steps from Victoria Station, is the ideal base from which to explore the many sights and sounds of the city. We still have some rooms available for that weekend, so do get in touch!
1) ‘2012 Hours to Go: An Evening of Athletics and Entertainment’ : Kicking off at 7pm on Saturday 5th May, this special event will bring together celebrities and sports stars at London’s Olympic Stadium for an evening of entertainment and sport. Events will include a series of UK Athletics Invitational competitions featuring some of Britain’s best athletes. After the athletics comes the fun stuff, with famous faces and Olympians joining forces for a series of stunts, games, challenges and prizes.
2) Hampton Court Foodies Festival : Take the opportunity to celebrate the finest food, drink and culinary talents in the beautiful setting of Hampton Court Palace Green from 5– 7 May. Hourly tasting, cocktail-making and cooking-for-kids sessions will take place throughout the day, and a host of Michelin-starred and TV chefs will be taking to the stage to showcase their favourite dishes live in the Chef’s Theatre. There will also be a unique mixture of entertainment and music, with a sumptuous VIP tent, as well as a city beach where you can relax in a deckchair and enjoy an ice cream in the sun.
3) The Camden Crawl : Head to Camden for a bumper weekend of music, art, dancing and theatre at the Camden Crawl. More than 250 musical acts will be packed into Camden’s two-mile stretch of bars and music venues. As well as a range of exciting gigs in the evening, there is a daytime programme of arts events including storytelling, fringe-theatre, film screenings, outdoor live music stages and more.
4) Damien Hirst at the Tate Modern: Pay a visit to London’s Tate Modern to view more than 70 iconic works by celebrated and contemporary artist Damien Hirst. In the nearly quarter of a century since his first pivotal show, Hirst has become one of the most influential artists of his generation. The exhibition will include iconic sculptures from his Natural History series, including The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living 1991, in which he suspended a shark in formaldehyde.
5) Wicked The Musical: The smash-hit musical ‘Wicked’ is staged just a five minute walk from our hotel at the Apollo Victoria. ‘Wicked’ chronicles the early life of the legendary witches from L. Frank Baum’s classic story, The Wizard of Oz. After enjoying the musical, pop back to our bar at Bistro on the Square for a cocktail to finish your evening.